
We have been here in Salida for a long time it seems and we had yet to go check out the local downhill skiing spot 20 minutes up the road, Monarch Mountain. I think we are the only people in town who aren't skiing eight days a week ... so up we went and had lunch and gawked at everything. I decided that
next winter I'd like to take some lessons and give it a whirl on the kiddie slope. On the house building front, Evan and Chris are embarking on the framing of interior walls ... Chris poses in the future guest room doorway.

Our main source of heat will be a Tulikivi fireplace ... a 8700 lb. masonry soapstone structure assembled on site with components fresh off the boat from Finland. Jeff and Brad, from Fyre Pro in Ft. Collins, are here this week, and so far, the fruit of their labor looks very promising, not to mention exciting. When the construction is done in a few days, it has to sit quietly for five days or so (to dry) before the first fire can be lit. I am including several progressive shots ... in the last image you can see the side that faces the kitchen which includes a bake oven above the firebox. The opposite side (facing the living room) has only the firebox opening.
No comments:
Post a Comment