
As we move into the colder weather (cold mornings and evenings) we'll see these guys more and more often. This is a portion of our resident elk herd ... they were here long before we were, so I hope we can all get along nicely. It's a pretty spectacular sight to behold. They graze all over Eureka Ranch at will.

A highlight of the bygone week was a visit from Jonathan and Traci Rivinus. Jonathan is Chris' first cousin (although he's the same age as our kids)and hails from back east but now lives in Boulder with his new bride.

I took a day off and went to Colorado Springs where I purchased myself a new bicycle with spiffy saddlebags for in-town grocery shopping and the like. Part of my routine is hiking for an hour or so at the ranch on a more or less daily basis ... I've got my water bottle slung around my hips and NordicWalking poles to give the upper body a workout too. Hidden in the middle picture is evidence of Chris observance of our 37th wedding anniversary on Aug. 25 ... when I arrived at the cattle gate with lunch for my guys, I was greeted with this display of public proclamation. My jaw dropped to my lap at the outrageousness of that man I married ... but it felt good inside.

Oh, yes, and the building project ... these guys are foam insulating the garage space that will be for my Volvo, which is under the kitchen/pantry end of the house ... so it is now ready for the last cement pour at the basement level.

Here is an overview of the current state of affairs. Lars is in the blue T-shirt removing insulation to accommodate a timber support for the framing to come above. And Evan is in the background working on the cement form for the base of the Tulikivi stove which can be seen better in the adjacent picture. The thing that looks like a chimney pipe is really an air intake pipe for the stove.

And here is a view of the front of the house with sonotubes positioned (which will be filled with cement) to support the covered wood storage porch and the front entry portico of the house. Next is a very important ditch containing an orange water pipe and an electric line ... this is the water feed to the house from the well. What will they think of next!?
No comments:
Post a Comment